Saturday, July 31, 2010

Follow Up - Twitter Network

As it turns out, the reason some links were missing is because the api only allows you to retrieve the 100 most recently follows for a user.

So with the 10 people I follow who follow over 100 people, there were some connections missing. So being the oddly determined character I am, I went through these people's follows by hand, looking for any missing connections. Et viola:




This is a stripped down version of the one featured in yesterday's post - people who never tweet [dead accounts] are omitted.

In case you were wondering, shinelikestars6 has a red circle on account of him being my nemesis. And he insisted upon it. The interactive version is here.

Here it is without me in the graph [interactive here]:



And finally, here's a different approach I tried:


It gives a slightly different view of the connections - slightly clearer. It's hand drawn, cause, well, it was just easier to do it that way.

The interesting thing I found while doing this was that some people I thought followed each other, in fact, don't. But there you go.

The other thing I tried to do was a video showing the connections being formed over time. But the result was a complete mess, and nothing like what I had in mind. Still, I've got the data, so if I ever work out a better way of doing it - watch this space...

Oatzy.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love how you took the time to do this! :D

I'd be interested to see my Twitter connections, I think I might seek out that website you tweeted about and have a look around :)

Oatzy said...

It was definitely worth the effort :]

And I might be able to help you a little. But you'll have to bear with me..